A cavity is a hole in the tooth enamel that is often caused by tooth decay, erosion, oral accidents, injuries, or other damage. Cavities are not inevitable. Consider the following tips for trying cavity prevention:
– Try to eat a diet that is healthy and nutritious to ensure your smile is getting the crucial minerals it needs to keep your teeth and gums strong and healthy.
– Focus on brushing your teeth at least twice every day and flossing your teeth once every day.
– Look for oral cleaning products that have been given the ADA Seal of Acceptance, which guarantees the safety and effectiveness of the products pass the highest standards in the industry.
– Avoid harmful sugars that can cause plaque buildup and harmful acids in your mouth, which are known to cause dental erosion.
– Use additional mouth-cleaning tools like mouthwash, water flossers, and sugarless gum to help clean your mouth when brushing and flossing is not possible or advised.
– Schedule professional cleanings with your dentist twice every year and schedule checkups as needed.
– Avoid eating foods and substances that are sticky and chewy, as they tend to dawdle in your mouth long after eating them and cause oral health disorders.
– Use cleaning tools that are suggested or approved by your dentist.
If you would like to schedule an appointment with Stewart Family Dentistry to see if you are a candidate for cavity prevention, please call Dr. Ron Stewart and the rest of our team at our office in Lithonia, Georgia at 770-872-0662. Thanks for visiting with a smile!