Keeping good oral hygiene practices is very important for dental health. Our mouths are full of bacteria which, if it collects, can form a film on the teeth called plaque. Plaque bacteria breaks down the sugars in foods and creates acids that attack tooth enamel. Overtime, this can cause problems to develop such as tooth decay and gum disease. Following the ABC’s of dental health will help keep your teeth clean and strong.
Many people think that this practice isn’t really necessary, but nothing could be further from the truth. Food, bacteria, and plaque easily gets trapped between the teeth and can cause decay there. A tooth brush normally cannot reach into these small spaces, so flossing is a must. Floss your teeth by:
- Taking 18 inches of floss.
- Wrapping the floss around both of your middle fingers.
- Pinching the floss with your forefingers and thumbs, leaving an inch of space between.
- Rubbing the floss gently up between teeth (don’t snap it against the gum line).
- Curving the floss into a C-shape when you reach the space between the tooth and gum, pulling the floss away from the gum, and rubbing it against the tooth.
- Repeating this process on the adjacent tooth.
- Flossing at least once a day.
B—Brush Your Teeth
Plaque cannot be washed off of teeth by merely swishing water around your mouth. Plaque needs to be brushed off of your teeth to keep them safe from the harm its bacteria causes. Brush your teeth by:
- Brushing twice a day for two minutes time.
- Using a soft-bristle toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Brushing gently with short, back-and-forth motions holding the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
- Starting brushing with the front of your teeth, the back, the chewing surface, and then the tongue.
C—Check-Ups With The Dentist
It is imperative to visit your dentist every 6 months. Doing so will ensure professional cleaning for your teeth. Additionally, your dentist can determine if any problems with your oral health are developing, problems you may not have even noticed yet. They will then recommend the best solution to remedy these issues.